Rolling releases in v11

Posted
Rating:
#5876 (In Topic #1397)
Site director
Chris Graham is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
This is a big planned changes, comments are welcome!

0003843: Review documentation talking about feature planning and release cycles - Composr CMS feature tracker

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Follow me on Minds (where I am most active). Support me on Patreon

Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
jacobgkau is in the usergroup ‘Well-settled’
This is an interesting change! I was just thinking about this line in particular earlier this weekend:

"The negative would be the need to stay on top of compatibility changes just to keep Composr patched, if you happen to have a customised theme or overridden code…"

Personally, I've found that I'm at that stage already, even with minor patch releases. 10.0.26 broke my forums because I had customized cns_forumview.php for my simplified URL scheme.

Something that would be incredibly helpful to me is a built-in diff tool as part of the built-in updater. If Composr could detect when one of the updated files is being overridden in sources_custom, show me my current custom version next to the new version, and let me choose which updated lines to bring in (or which custom lines to keep), it would make me feel a lot safer about doing upgrades. It might still take a few minutes, but at least I'll get to proactively review the changes, rather than having to go and click around the website after updating to make sure nothing important is broken.

I could, and absolutely should, be doing a "diff" of the updates manually, but of course that would take a while and I don't always do that. If things are going to move to a rolling-release model where the routine updates get bigger, this would become even more useful.

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Chris Graham is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
Automatic diffing is very tricky, but definitely something I want to give a lot more thought.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Follow me on Minds (where I am most active). Support me on Patreon

Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Statistics

Users online:

Salman, amit.nigam, Philip, babu, ManojSree, mytracker

Forum statistics:
  • 1,084 topics, 5,240 posts, 6,123 members
  • Our newest member is salesvu1981
Birthdays: