iOS photo rotation, main_members.php

Posted
Rating:
#5770 (In Topic #1352)
Standard member
Terry is in the usergroup ‘Fan in training’

A question about GD quality

I've started to work on the main page of a site. It's a general social site, so I want to use the main_members block to display pictures of the members. There are a few issues I need to overcome with main_members. I have the block set to display 4 photos wide, and without the "form." That way it's strictly the picture/avatar of the members, 4-wide, and no more than 30 displayed. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, so to speak, because I only have myself and a test user to test with, but I'm noticing that the block isn't displaying pictures 4-wide, it's displaying 1 picture, then a break in the line, then the next picture under the first.

Now, the issue might be in the way iOS rotates the images. For iOS devices, then you take a picture, the picture is actually roted 90 degrees from the original orientation. I'm not sure why iOS does this. Most websites check the orientation and correct the iOS weirdness and manuelly rotate an iOS image to correct position, then re-save it. When uploading a profile pic from an iPhone (iOS) to my Compo.sr site, the image isn't rotated to correct iOS's weird rotate issue. Instead, it displays the image 90 degrees off. Now, this is a weird iOS issue, and not any issue with Compo.sr, but I'm wondering if Compo.sr code looks for this weirdness from iOS images and corrects it, or if it leaves it as is. It seems to be left as is, without correcting the 90-degree orientation issue.

If Compo.sr doesn't "fix" iOS's weird orientation issue for images, then this would explain why main_members Block is not showing images 4-wide. It shows them one on top of the other, as if the main_members setting was 1-wide, not 4-wide.

Last issue. The server I use is a VPS. I have been in contact with the people that run it to add this and that. For instance, the GD library wasn't there, and some database modules were missing from Apache. I got those fixed, but, the quality of images I upload from an iPhone (iOS) it rendered at about.. I'd guess... 10% quality. In other words, it looks terrible. This is not a Compo.srt issue, but a GD PHP issue. So, is there a location in the Compo.sr code that I can set the compression quality for images uploaded?

Several related issues all in one, but any ideas, suggestions, etc., are welcome. F75B05AA-0B05-48DD-8E83-953EFF2E7A5E.jpeg DB9A6DB6-19DC-455E-A12C-5E5F2FA5DBA6.jpeg

Last edit: by Terry

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Chris Graham is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
Hi,

Sorry you didn't get a reply on this in a long time. Myself, I've been extremely busy settling down in a new home.

To help me I'm summarising the issue…

1. main_member_bar block is 1-wide on iOS on photos mode regardless of configured columns
  2. Rotated member photos on iOS
  3. Image quality from iPhone

Solutions…

1. This is the result of the CSS setting a minimum width. We don't actually need to do it for a photo grid, fixed in: https://github.com/ocp…a4dcdd843d8cc3900a98f16f6
  2. PENDING
  3. PENDING

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Follow me on Minds (where I am most active). Support me on Patreon

Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Chris Graham is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
2- I did a lot of testing and it seems to auto-correct orientation on iOS. That is, unless you've disabled the "Automatic image repair" config option OR if you don't have the PHP EXIF extension installed (seems likely given what you said).

3- This is very hard for me to answer without more information. 3 possibilities:
  1. Let's assume that you don't have EXIF installed, but you do have "Automatic image repair" still enabled. In such a case Composr will be re-saving the image. In which case you may need to tweak the Composr "JPEG quality level" config option. If you do tweak "JPEG quality level" successfully please let us know your results and setting.
  2. It could also be iOS recompressing the image, although I could find no information on iOS doing this, and I'd be surprised if Apple is sacrificing image quality (very un-Apple thing to do); perhaps they would in some harsh condition based on available network bandwidth, or some kind of setting somewhere in iOS, but I am speculating wildly.
  3. It could be you're confusing the photo thumbnail with the actual photo (on the member profile page the photo thumbnail is clickable to see the full image). The thumbnail size is configurable, although it's going to affect other parts of Composr if you change it. Are we talking about the image becoming small, or becoming blurry?

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Follow me on Minds (where I am most active). Support me on Patreon

Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Statistics

Users online:

Philip, Salman, amit.nigam, Paul D, MVLipwig, babu, ManojSree

Forum statistics:
  • 1,059 topics, 5,115 posts, 5,962 members
  • Our newest member is esparkbiz
Birthdays: