embedded media wont show on IOS/iphone/ipads ?

Posted
Rating:
#5271 (In Topic #1193)
Standard member
smarken is in the usergroup ‘Fan in training’

My webm files wont play in JW player on my pages

I have embedded some video that I have on my site so theya are played in JW player.
It works fine on my PC (Linux) in Firefox and chrome, but on IOS/iphone/ipads the media can't be found.
The files are webm-files..

This is the page holding the media :
https://smarken.net/site/index.php?page=wiki&type=browse&id=wiki%2F-dk-linux-wiki%2Fopensuse%2F01-introduktion-til&redirected=1

Is there a fix for this ?

:-)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
A friend send me this from his Iphone :

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Chris Graham is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
webm is not a web-safe video format, it won't work on iOS devices.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Follow me on Minds (where I am most active). Support me on Patreon

Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by KingBast)
Joe
Standard member
Joe is in the usergroup ‘Honoured member’
You can convert the media to H.264 (or MP4), since this file format is very widely supported, including on Apple products.

Motion: Supported media formats

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
KingBast is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I would also suggest replacing JW Player with Mediaelement (which has flash fallback support and provides much wider device and file support). The addon can be found @ Mediaelement - Composr

Posted
Rating:
Standard member

KingBast said

I would also suggest replacing JW Player with Mediaelement (which has flash fallback support and provides much wider device and file support). The addon can be found @ Mediaelement - Composr

Following the link, you mention a newer version in comments, .. is that one the one the newer or old you get when pressing download ?
If not, how do I get the newest ?

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
KingBast is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The current addon version works fine (although it's not the latest offering) and doesn't have any branding like JW Player.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
maybe I'm just plain stupid, but ..

I followed the above, and installed mediaelement, and it is listed as installed, but still JWplayer is used in my pages..
How can I get it to use mediaelement ?

rgds :-)

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Chris Graham is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
It might be caching. If you edit those pages (no change, just an edit) I suspect Mediaelement will then be used instead.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Follow me on Minds (where I am most active). Support me on Patreon

Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Statistics

Users online:

amit.nigam, Manu, ooblek, 152 guests

Forum statistics:
  • 1,011 topics, 4,832 posts, 5,682 members
  • Our newest member is mav
Birthdays: