Cyrillic letters showing as squares in the site header
#650 (In Topic #133)
Cyrillic letters show as squares
More painted here. - "Composr Tutorial: Localisation and internationalisation."
Actually I think that's a limitation with the Open Source fonts that we bundle. They don't have cyrillic characters unfortunately.
I've expanded on the documentation regarding this for you…
GD fontsWe bundle some Open Source .ttf fonts (Bitstream fonts) that unfortunately don't have characters for all languages. For example you may notice issues in Cyrillic ("Russian").
- Vertical text shown on pemrission editing interfaces. This issue is less relevant as it once was, as modern web browsers can render vertical text directly.
- The Logo Wizard.
- The main_custom_gfx block.
The solution to '1' is to upload Courier New Bold Italic.ttf from your own computer to data_custom/fonts/Courier New Bold Italic.ttf. We would distribute this file with Composr, except we don't have a license to; however if you have a copy of Windows or Mac OS you should have your own licensed copy of this file.
The solution to '2' is to upload Verdana.ttf from your computer as data_custom/fonts/Vera.ttf. This works for most the Verdana font only, which is the default used during the Setup Wizard; if you are using the Logo Wizard manually then you may just want to upload all your fonts to data_custom/fonts and pick one of those you uploaded.
- If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
- If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
- If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
- If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.