Do you want to help our mission: bringing a way that empowers the masses to create feature-rich websites on saner budgets?
It's a lofty goal, and we'd love your help!
Why do you want my help?
By virtue of the fact that you are reading this, you have at least some interest in web development and/or Composr. This makes you perfect:
- The enthusiasm of you and others is key: so many jobs, such as spreading the word, could never be done well automatically – and if we tried to do everything ourselves, we couldn't sustain the product and community.
- You're different. Different from us, and different from many other Composr users – either in little or big ways. This diversity is exactly what we need - a variety of skills make Composr more valuable for everybody. Share your own special perspectives and talents.
Whether you're a developer, a good writer, have some cash to help drive the project, or just have some darned-good ideas, you can support Composr.
Here are a few ideas of ways to help
- Make addonsIf you know PHP, or want to learn, make and release some addons for the community. It takes a lot of knowledge, but anybody can learn and it's fun, fulfilling and makes you more employable.
- Make themesIf you know HTML/CSS, or are learning, make and release some themes for the community. With CSS you can start small and still achieve cool things.
- TranslateIf you know another language, collaborate with others on Transifex to make a new language pack.
- Google Summer of CodeIf you're a student and want to work on Composr for the Google Summer of Code, please contact us and we will work to try and make it happen.
- Developing unit testsIf you know some PHP you can help us test Composr en-masse. Write unit tests (the latest version of the testing framework is in our public git repository).
- Contribute codeHelp improve Composr directly by contributing code.
- TwitterFollow Composr on Twitter, and tweet about #composr. Answer CMS questions.
- FacebookBecome a fan of Composr on Facebook.
- Stack OverflowAnswer CMS questions on Stack Overflow.
- YouTubeRate and comment on our video tutorials on YouTube.
- Post about ComposrIf you see other CMSs compared on other websites, let us know about it!
- Tell a friend about ComposrRecommend Composr if a friend or your company is looking to make a website.
- Recommend ocProductsMention the ocProducts developers to help them bring in an income.
- Show our adYou can advertise Composr via the banner ad we have created.
- Self-initiativesFind any opportunity to share Composr with someone. Write your own article and publish it. Talk about Composr at a conference. Be creative!
- Reach out to other usersWelcome new users and help make sure people don't get lost.
Also put yourself on the map so people near you can get in contact.
- Help others on the forumWhere you can, answer other user's questions.
- Hang out in the chatIf we have users in the chatroom 24×7 then users (including yourself) are less likely to feel stuck or isolated.
- Give gift pointsIf you see other members doing good things, give them some gift points.
- Reporting bugsBig or tiny – we will be happy if you even report typos we make as bugs.
- Reporting usability issuesWe will be happy if you have any concrete suggestions for making reasonably common tasks even a little bit easier.
- Write tutorialsPost them on the forum and link them into the tutorial database.
- Supply test data for importersSend an SQL-dump to help us create a Composr importer. There's no promise of anything, but it helps us a lot to have test data on hand should we decide to make an importer.
- OtherDo you have some other expertise? Do you have the ability to help the staff make business connections? There are many other ways to support our mission – be imaginative!
Why do it?
All Composr users can have a stake in Composr's success:
- Get noticed: People who contribute significantly will be well respected and thanked by the community. It feels good!
- Build a career: Members who've made big contributions are automatically highlighted via our community stars and ranks. This is definitely something worth putting on your CV/Résumé.
- Build a business: ocProducts doesn't want to have a monopoly on commercial Composr work. We have a directory of partners and we actively refer out projects that come through to third-party implementors (it's even a part of our project briefing wizard). Your role and importance in the community could directly lead to paid work for you.
- Get free support: We have a referral scheme for you to earn money if you refer projects to ocProducts.
- Move things forward: You're making the web development world a better place for people who aren't necessarily programmers or millionaires. By its very nature the Open Source model depends on people to share talents in big and small ways.
- Give back: You can be a big help to the hard-working core developer team who've continued to spend years on very modest incomes to see the vision come to pass.
How to get started
Just go ahead and pick something on the above list and go for it! Be a self-starter and don't let anything hold you back. Again – even tiny efforts like micro-blogging do some good for the project. So why not?