Composr Tutorial: Cleanup tools
Written by Chris Graham (ocProducts)The website cleanup tools page will allow you to empty any website cache, as well as automatically locate and repair common problems, and remove any orphaned data. There are a number of cleanup tools, which are run individually; ideally none ever need to be used, but if things happen outside the norm (such as corruption, or bugs), they can be very useful.
The tools are divided into "De-cachers" and "Optimisers" (which don't all strictly involve optimising, some are for general other kinds of maintenance task).
Caches / De-cachers
On a default install all recommended caches are enabled, except when Composr is installed on localhost.
Some kinds of cache may be turned off in the configuration, but leaving them on gives vastly improved performance.
If you can identify a situation where you need to rebuild or empty a cache that should not exist, please report it as a bug.
- Correct MySQL schema issues – this is intended for programmers-only, you are very unlikely to need it.
- Optimise/fix database tables – this will try and fix some database tables and works with MySQL-only. If the database has become very corrupt, you may need to use a tool such as phpMyAdmin to repair a database from outside Composr.
- Broken URLs – this will look for broken URLs.
- Regenerate image thumbnails – this will regenerate all thumbnails (slow and probably not useful).
- Find orphaned uploads – find on-disk uploads that seem to no longer be referenced.
- Delete page access statistics – remove old page statistics to reduce database usage.
Frankly most of these optimisers are not useful. We provide them for very rare situations, or for helping programmers manage complicated operations.
Please rate this tutorial:
Have a suggestion? Report an issue on the tracker.