Issues with Dutch translation (Posts split from "Composr evangelism")

Posted
Rating:
#4347 (In Topic #909)
Standard member
lifeguard is in the usergroup ‘Fan in training’
Is it possible to  reset the global file and the news file?
There are to many mistakes in those files.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Joey is in the usergroup ‘Honoured member’

lifeguard said

Hmf, thats my old account. Sorry heheheheh

lifeguard said

Hmf, thats my old account. Sorry heheheheh

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Chris Graham is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
Hi,

Please clarify.

I think you're talking about CSS files. But what are you trying to "reset" to? Immediately after the theme wizard had run to produce the theme? The default theme's version (i.e. not altered by the Theme Wizard)?
There's a full revision history of the file in the editor, with revert support.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Follow me on Minds (where I am most active). Support me on Patreon

Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Sorry, i mean the files on transifex.
global.ini and news has some strange things. (dutch language)

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Ah I see, this may better as a question put to the Transifex developers, as I'm not sure you can.

But I do have a suggestion…

Use the 'Review' feature. For any string you're happy with mark it as 'Reviewed'. You can filter by Reviewed/Not-Reviewed, so this will help you keep track of things.

If you don't have reviewer access let me know and I'll see if I can assign it to you.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Follow me on Minds (where I am most active). Support me on Patreon

Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comment.
I dont have this access.

But i can also explain the problems here if you want? Maybe you can show me wich line i have to change?

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Joey)
Site director
I've:

1. Assigned you reviewer access.
  2. Split this into a fresh topic so you can post your issues as needed.

Was I helpful?

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Chris, please look at this.

I set up an testboard with fresh compo.sr
by default, all is English, but on a dutch site its not so nice :)

Wen i change language by Translate/Rephrase page i can translate that page into dutch. ( i know its not the way, but to show you my rpblems its much easier.)

I change the language of my frontpage and there it is.
After change, everything looks nice. But my comments on the 2 articles was gone. ( the topic was still exist WITH comments)
So, i try to comment again, and it works. 
But, when i look at the forum, all the articles are double, please see screens. How is this possible?

index nieuwe translate.pngforum index dubbele topics.png

Last edit: by Joey

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Right this should have been documented, as it is an issue. Here's what I've written…

Composr associated topics with content using the topic description field. This involves a translated language string.
Therefore if you switch your default site language, any existing topics will become disassociated.
You can resolve with a manual database query (in something like phpMyAdmin):

Code

UPDATE cms_f_topics SET t_description=REPLACE(t_description, 'Comment: ', 'Commentaire: ');
Replace Commentaire with whatever you have translated the COMMENT language string to.
The example assumes the table prefix is cms_.

Was I helpful?

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Ok, its not that bad but …

if i stay again with a fresh install what is the best way to start translating to avoid this?
Transifex is not a good solution because my work block this site …

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Hi,

I'm not really sure how I can answer that question well, but I'll try.

The SQL query I gave should stop it being an active problem.
That's the best solution I can give, as the actual English/Dutch text used for comment topic association is stored in the database. It has to work like that due to Composr's support for third-party forums (i.e. we have to make the association key fit into some kind of human-readable topic field).

I highly recommend Transifex, otherwise Dutch translators are repeating work.

I would not really advise translating Composr in work hours without a boss's permission ;). However, there are ways to get around blocks - e.g. Opera has an inbuilt proxy.

Was I helpful?

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
My boss agree when i work on my sites. If work is done, then its OK ;)

I delete all my translated strings, and start over.
Now everything is ok.

1 question, where can i find the months?
Because i think, i look in all files but there is still June, May and the other months.

Posted
Rating:
Site director
This is the locale string needing to be set properly. This should be covered in the Internationalisation tutorial.

Was I helpful?

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
So it doesnt make sense if i translate it or not?
I look to the settings but i cant see where it goes wrong

Note: You are fast :)

Posted
Rating:
Site director
What is your current translation of the locale string?

I would guess it needs to be set to this for Dutch:
nl-NL.UTF-8,nl_NL.UTF-8,nl.UTF-8,nl-NL,nl_NL,nl

What works depends on what kind of server it is and what locales are installed on it. The above should cover a number of common possibilities.

If you can't use locale, you'll need to use LOCALE_SUBST to do replacements over the English locale, which is also documented in the Internationalisation tutorial.

Was I helpful?

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Thanks Chris.

Now i have another thing.
I translate a lot of my site now in Dutch.
I realy want to help the Composr community for the Dutch fans.

The one on Transifex is realy bad, because there a lot of mistakes.
Is it possible to exprt my langauage and send this to you, or upload it here so Dutch starters can use it as basic?

I also want o try to get people who use phpBB to come to Composr.
I see many people using extenions and ask for thing that composr already have, so they maybe like to use it.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Chris,

About time and dates are looking fine now. But only with the activity-plugin i see there is everywhere english ,,
Can i fix this?

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Is it possible to exprt my langauage and send this to you, or upload it here so Dutch starters can use it as basic?

Please do share, you can upload an addon to the directory:
Translations - Composr
You'll see an Add Download link near(ish) the bottom.

About time and dates are looking fine now. But only with the activity-plugin i see there is everywhere english ,,
Can i fix this?

I don't think there's much more I can say other than what I already said about locale_subst and what's in the documentation. Here's a direct link with an example for locale_subst:
Composr Tutorial: Localisation and internationalisation - Composr

If it's not working please share what you have for your locale and locale_subst strings and maybe I can see an error.

Possibly also the block cache needs emptying, I'm not sure.

Was I helpful?

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Hi :)

I use for locale, and substr both
nl-NL.UTF-8,nl_NL.UTF-8,nl.UTF-8,nl-NL,nl_NL,nl

but the activity stays in English.

I will look tomorow to upload my NL language to the directory on the composr site. Now it is time to sleep.
Have a nice day!

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Ok. This probably means the Dutch locale is not installed on your server.

However, locale_subst is very different to locale.

You need something more like…

Monday=maandag,Tuesday=dinsdag,Wednesday=...

See the Tamil example in the documentation I linked to for a better idea of everything you may need to set there. You're remapping the individual words that come out of the English locale to the equivalent words in Dutch.
It's a workaround for when server's don't have a real locale installed.

Was I helpful?
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Statistics

Users online:

MVLipwig, Salman, deepu_ms

Forum statistics:
  • 1,079 topics, 5,225 posts, 6,072 members
  • Our newest member is khanhbtmsonganh
Birthdays: